If you took Elmiron and were diagnosed with pigmentary maculopathy or other side effects related to the eye, you should consider speaking with a lawyer and filing an Elmiron lawsuit against the manufacturer.
What is Elmiron used for? Elmiron (pentosan polysulfate sodium) is a medication used to treat bladder pain and discomfort associated with interstitial cystitis, known as “painful bladder syndrome.” It has been used to treat osteoarthritis in humans, dogs, and horses.
Can Elmiron cause blindness or other eye problems? Yes. Elmiron has been linked to some very severe eye problems that can cause vision impairment, eye damage, retina problems, macular degeneration, eye disease, ocular side effects, maculopathy, and even blindness.
The manufacturer of Elmiron (pronounced EL ma ron), Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., states on their website, “It is not known exactly how ELMIRON® works, but it is not a pain medication like aspirin or acetaminophen.”
Being that over 1 million people in the United States, mostly women, are estimated to experience bladder or pelvic region pain, and Elmiron is the only known treatment on the market, we estimate that hundreds of thousands of people have been exposed to the drug.
Reports of Elmiron Eye Damage Side Effects (Timeline)
- In 2018, an article was published in the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) that outlined how a number of people experienced pigmentary maculopathy after being exposed to Elmiron. Between the years 2015 and 2017, six patients were treated for these eye problems at the Emory Eye Center in Georgia. By 2019, the number went up to ten people.
- In 2019 the AAO published another report titled, “More Evidence Linking Common Bladder Medication to a Vision-threatening Eye Condition“, where scientists at Kaiser Permanente found that about one-quarter of patients with significant exposure to Elmiron showed definite signs of eye damage and that this medication toxicity could masquerade as other known retinal conditions, such as age-related macular degeneration or pattern dystrophy.
- In 2020, researchers at the Emory Eye Center (Emory School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA) documented cases of retinal maculopathy (aka retinal injury) in some IC patients who used Elmiron for long periods of time.
What is the Elmiron lawsuit all about? Maculopathy.
The Elmiron lawsuits claim that long-term exposure to Elmiron can cause maculopathy and other eye problems.
Maculopathy is a generalized term that refers to pathological conditions that affect the central part of the retina, the macula. Maculopathy is characterized by a progressive loss of central vision, usually bilateral, that greatly impairs vision functions. This is where visual acuity and sensitivity occur. There are certain types of maculopathy:
- Age-related Macular Degeneration – This is an age-related condition that occurs over time.
- Cellophan Maculopathy – known as a “macular pucker” this condition causes a transparent layer of scar tissue to pull on the light-receptive nerves of the macula.
- Malattia Leventinese – known as “Doyne Honeycomb Retinal Dystrophy” (DHRD) and is prompted by small, pale spots that grow on the macula, eventually creating a honeycomb pattern.
Pigmentary macular degeneration associated with Elmiron is an injury with no known cause. Each person presents the signs and symptoms differently.
Some other Elmiron side effects include:
- Alopecia (hair loss)
- Rectal Hemmorage
- Liver Function Abnormality
- Blood in the stool
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Skin rash
- Sleep disorders
What do doctors recommend if you are experiencing a potential eye side effect? According to the INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS NETWORK, “they urge patients who have used or are using Elmiron to be screened by ophthalmologists if they are experiencing any unusual eye symptoms (difficulty reading, vision loss, difficulty seeing in lower lights) and to cease Elmiron therapy if eye disease is present.”
Tips if you suspect Elmiron has caused eye problems. Talk with Doctor.
- First off, Don’t Panic! Print a copy of the articles hyperlinked throughout this page. They are also included at the bottom under “References”. Take them to your Urologist and Eye doctor.
- Seek An Eye Examination – If you have taken Elmiron and feel that you have some eye issues, we believe that you should seek a full eye examination.
- Talk With Your Doctor About Alternatives To Elmiron – The Emory Eye Center researchers encourage the cessation of Elmiron if eye disease is noted. Other bladder coating therapies are available, such as Heparin/Lidocaine instillations as well as over-the-counter supplements CystoProtek, Cysto Renew and/or Desert Harvest Aloe. Please discuss the pros and cons with your urologist.
- Spread The Word – I encourage you to share this article with people you know that take Elmiron. Share it on Facebook, Twitter or other online communities and message boards. Here is a direct link to this article:
Does Elmiron cause weight gain? Yes. According to the Package Insert of Prescribing Information, Elmiron’s manufacturer states, “Weight gain and swelling caused by fluid build up in the body have been reported in patients taking ELMIRON®.”
Is there an Elmiron Safety Warning? None of the products labeling describes symptoms or side effects related to pigmentary maculopathy, or any other kind of eye damage, issues, or problems. It only references vision disorders such as conjunctivitis, optic neuritis, retinal hemorrhage. Yet, pigmentary maculopathy has been reported by a number of people after taking Elmiron. So if you have developed maculopathy after taking Elmiron, you may qualify for the Elmiron lawsuit.
Elmiron Class Action
We have not identified a class action filing on Elmiron. Class action lawsuits are often misunderstood by the general public. A class action suit is generally filed against the manufacturer of a product or service provider when the attorneys are seeing a refund on a faulty product or fraudulent/misrepresented service. When a product causes individual harm or personal injury, like Elmiron, lawyers will typically file individual cases (not class actions).
Do You Have an Elmiron Lawsuit? Contact a Lawyer Today.
Have you had any of the above side effects after taking Elmiron? Have you been diagnosed with pigmentary maculopathy or do you suspect that Elmiron has caused eye damage or some other sort of eye problems? If so, you should contact a lawyer who is handling Elmiron lawsuits. You may be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries.